From blue beans to red beans

 Red beans, growing in El Naranjo, Nicaragua

Ever since I can remember I was working with my grandfather in his garden. When I was a kid he would pick me up, looking for "day laborers," as he would joke. My cousins and I would go and work the acre he had at his cousins house in Grant, Michigan. We planted and harvested tomatoes, corn, onions, various chili plants, zucchini, green beans, etc. The green beans, Blue Lake bush beans, were always the most work, and we were able to harvest two crop during the summertime. As my grandpa aged, his gardens were smaller. Eventually he moved the garden to my backyard after I bought a house. Every Memorial Day we would till the soil and plant vegetables, and of course we had three rows of green beans. We would spend the summers sharing stories and jokes as we worked the garden. I always laughed, no matter how many times I heard the stories, because something new would be shared about his life and my great grandparents. 

When Jari and I left for Nicaragua, my grandfather was very sad. He told me, 'I am going to miss you mijo," and gave me a big hug and kiss. He continued to work the garden at my house in my absence until his health no longer permitted him. My grandfather Jesus, entered into the Good Lord's presence in August 2021. (The Good Lord, is how he referred to Jesus Christ.) 

I think we all eat beans, I love pinto beans, black beans, kidney beans, and miss them here in Nicaragua. The two bean varieties available here are small red beans, and black beans. The black beans are expensive! This red bean is the staple grain for so many families in Nicaragua, mine included! Beans are a part of everyone's life here, an economic driver for this nation. These beans are now part of our ministry too! Since we have started working with farmers who plant beans, many memories come back every time I see the new bean plants rising out of the soil. Every time we spend an hour or so talking with a farmer about his beans, his land, and his life, I remember my grandpa Jesus and our summer talks picking green beans. 

2015, our last summer in the 'fields' together


While we use certified red bean seed to start a relationship with a farmer, our end goal is to share life, and our faith. We work together in this man's field, worshipping God with the talents He has given us. The second planting season has just started for beans, and we look forward to many more jokes and stories shared in the Nicaraguan countryside. A few weeks ago I realized, beans have been a part of my whole life, generational. They have reentered my life in a way I never thought about, as a part of my work for the Gospel!

Part of this new work we are doing brings us to consider more local sustainability. Jari and I know it is time for us to purchase a property here in Jinotega. A small farm, of 10 acres or less. This farm will serve as a primary residence for us, but also provide office space and warehouse for our work. Of course, I have not lost or forgotten about a metal shop! (one step at a time, Jesse) 

This farm will provide a demonstration plot, jobs and income for our ministry locally. We are thankful to God one job has been created through our work already, and we look forward to providing more jobs, that generate local income, working to God's purpose! 

We have written a proposal and can share it with anyone who is interested in supporting the purchase of a farm in Jinotega. Please join us in prayer for this farm. 

Thank you grandpa Jesus, I miss you too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINCA AVODAH

Project Mature Bean! Part 2, We Harvested!